I think I have been to Disneyland about 130 times. I came up with this number based on how many times I went growing up, I had a pass from ages 10-18, and how many times I have been since I moved out of Southern California. I love the place and it makes me sad that I can’t go as much as I used to. It was a huge part of my growing up years and I always love to take my kids when I can. The last time I was there was in February 2014 with my brother and sister-in-law.
I have taken my boys when they were quite young, my oldest visited at 15 months the first time. I have also taken my now 10 and 8 year old when they were 8 and 6 and it was awesome. We could go on any of the rides, no strollers, no diapers, it was great! I can’t wait to take my littlest guy who has never been.
I have so many memories of the place. From my mom waking us up and telling us we were not going to school but in fact going to Disneyland, to going on rides over and over with no lines because we were on vacation and no one else was, to walking around with my best friend, to going on dates there with my high school boyfriend.
Here is my list of the 10 best things about Disneyland
- Main Street- You walk in and you just feel like you are in a different place. If it has been a while, it takes you right back to previous trips. On Main Street you can walk through the shops, buy some candy or stop for some coffee. There are a lot of cool things to look at and I love the turn of the centry feel to it.
- Indiana Jones- I think this wins for my favorite ride. I was about 14 when they put it in. Every time I go on it I feel so good. No matter what issues I am dealing with, the ride takes them away. I know that sounds a little silly but it is true. I can just lose myself in the ride.
- Splash Mountain- Another one of my favorite rides. I have some memories of looking through a hole in a board to watch this one being built. I like that the ride is not short, it is the perfect length and it is a lot of fun to go down the drop.
- Pirates of the Caribbean- I have a very hard time when this ride is closed. It is another one of my favorites. Growing up I always wanted to eat at the Blue Bayou because you always go by that on the ride. Ben and I finally did this in 2009 and it really didn’t seem like the food was worth the price but it was on my bucket list.
- The Smells- I came across this Buzzfeed article and it is all so true. Every single one. Sometimes I will smell Disneyland in random places. “This smells like the Pirates of the Caribbean.”
- People Watching– We used to do this in high school all the time. Disneyland is the best place to people watch. There are people visiting from all over the world. If you are at Disneyland and need a rest, sit down and people watch for a while.
- Dusk- There is something about dusk at Disneyland that just reminds me about when I was a kid. It is this feeling that I just had the best day ever and things are coming to a close. It reminds me that we have to decide what rides we are going to go on before we go home.
- The Food- By food, I mean snacks. From churros to ice cream bars to popcorn to a frozen lemonade. When we were in high school my friend and I would eat our way through Disneyland, back when I had a better metabolism..:)
- The Railroad- You see it when you first get in. You can take it to other lands or you can ride around the whole park. We always like to go on it in the afternoons when we are a little tired and just want to take a little break. It is nice because while you are resting you are still on a ride.
- The Magic-There is just something magical about Disneyland for me. Just the mix of the attractions, the people and the atmosphere. I hope that one day in the future I will be able to go more than once every few years.
Are you a huge fan of Disneyland or Disneyworld???