Cameras. I have had many cameras over the years. I remember when I got my first digital one. It was a point and shoot, 2 megapixels. Yay! It was exciting at the time. After having to always take my film into the local drug store, waiting a week and then getting it back, I could see my photos instantly! It changed everything!
In 2008 I was able to get my first DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) after months of trying to play around with my point and shoot to get it to do what I wanted it to do. I wanted more control and I got that with the DSLR. I upgraded to a Canon 50D in 2009 and that is what I still use today.
Point and shoot cameras are great. They are lightweight, fit in your pocket, are not as expensive and are just easier to carry around. I think you can still get amazing pictures with a p&s but upgrading can make things easier.
If you are debating your first DSLR purchase, I am going to tell you to go for it. It will be a good thing and this is why:
- DSLRs with kids make taking their photo much easier. They are faster cameras. You can catch things you can’t catch on a slower camera. With little kids you might only have a few seconds to capture the moment that you want.
- DSLRs give you control. I would suggest that if you do invest in a DSLR that you also plan to take it off auto and use it manually. It is so nice to be able to use your camera in this way. Auto can be good for certain situations if you are just starting out but learning about f-stops, shutter speeds and what ISO means will really improve the way you look at photography.
- DSLRS let you use different lenses. If you are ready to buy I suggest that you just buy the body you want and a 50mm 1.8 which you can get for under $100. You can then add to your collection based on your needs. Some lenses are good for close spaces and others are better if you want a bigger range of distance. If you get more into photography you might need different lenses for the pictures you are taking.
- DSLRs will give you better photos overall. This doesn’t mean you can’t get fantastic photos with your point and shoot, you can, but it is easier to do so with a DSLR. This is nice for when you travel and want your pictures to come out looking nicer than they have in the past.
- DSLRs are good for bloggers. Everyone knows that blogs have photos. Therefore, if you are a blogger it is nice to be able to take nice pictures to go along with your posts. A DSLR can help you get better photos and help your blogging as a result.
Photography is an art that many people can take part in. You don’t have to be a professional. You don’t have to have a business. You just have to decide you want to take that next step and buy a better tool to take those photos with.
As far as what type of camera you should get? I have always loved Canons, others love Nikons. I don’t know that there is that much of a real difference between the two other than brand loyalty. Sony and Olympus also have some great cameras to choose from. I would take some time at a physical store trying out the cameras in your hands to see what is a good fit.
If you are looking for more information on how to take photos or how to make them better you can check out the Clickin Mom forum as it has been really helpful to me over the years. You can read others posts about photography, ask specific questions and get to know other photographers. They also have a lot of workshops and even a magazine. It’s great!
Do you have your eye on an DSLR? What kind?
* This post contains affiliate links!