10 Thoughts on Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life on Netflix
- This post contains affiliate links!
In 2004, I had a little baby boy and we signed up for Netflix. My mom told me about this great show that we could watch on DVD with Netflix, Gilmore Girls. I was hooked right away. So was my son. He would stop whatever he was doing and watch the theme song with amazement. That little baby is now 12 and Gilmore Girls is back with new episodes.
Netflix is amazing and one of the reasons that Netflix is so amazing is because they can take old shows and make new episodes. The first one was Arrested Development, another favorite. Fuller House is another example and now we have Gilmore Girls. Four 1.5 hour episodes going through the year. Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall.
This was released on Friday and I ended up staying up way past my bedtime to watch all of them. And after that, I needed to watch an episode from season three. I love this show and can’t seem to get enough. As much as I wanted to savor every episode of the new shows, I knew that avoiding spoilers might be hard. You never know what people are going to say on social media, what Facebook will put in your feed or what an article’s title might say. I didn’t want any part of the show to be ruined, so I watched them all Friday night and wow, what an amazing show!
I have a lot of thoughts on the new episodes and I wanted to share them here. Know that the rest of this post will show spoilers so stop reading if you have not watched A Year in the Life yet. Then come back once you have.
1. Rory’s Boyfriends- I love that Dean, Jess, and Logan all came back for these episodes. Logan was in the most scenes and Dean was only in one but I really liked seeing them. I am a fan of the Good Wife, Supernatural and This is Us and what I loved is that these three came back and were very much Dean, Jess, and Logan, not the characters I have seen them as more recently. I was a little shocked that Rory was with Logan, especially since he had a fiance. I am glad she gave him that key back to the Maine house. I felt like he was trying to set her up to be his longtime mistress. If he truly loved her he should break it off with his fiance but he didn’t seem to want to do that.
2. Sookie, Lane, and Paris- Loved seeing these ladies back as well as the townspeople, Lane’s twins, Mr. Kim, etc. They added so much to the original series and it was so nice to see them back, if only for a few scenes. I did feel like we saw a little too much of Kirk.
3. Luke and Lorelai- During the original series the two would banter back and forth with one another and I was glad to see they still had that. I worried about the lying and not wanting to get married after all those years. I also thought the baby storyline was weird. How did they never talk about it? And then now thinking about a surrogate? But the wedding was perfect!
4. Wild- Loved the book and movie Wild and thought the storyline was an interesting one. Not something I ever would have thought Lorelai would ever do. I loved how they made the two park rangers actors from Parenthood and Mae Whitman showed up in New York at one point as well.
5. Jess- I have pretty much always been team Jess and I was hoping they would get together by the end. I wasn’t so sure after the scene in the newspaper office. They seemed so much like buddies. But then, when Luke asked Jess if he was still into her and he said no, but then went to the window? That gave me hope. I am not sure if we’ll get any more episodes but I would love to see Jess and Rory together in the end. Logan is just not cool and Dean seems happily married too.
6. Emily- LOVED seeing what she did after she got over her grief about Richard. Seems like a great way to wrap her up as a character. And the scene when she is explaining about the Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up made me laugh.
7. The Seasons- I really enjoyed the different seasons. I felt like each one was different enough to put us in that time period. That also made it easy for us to see time passing within the four episodes.
8. Stupid Paul- I hated that Rory kept forgetting to break up with him. It was cute and all and a silly joke but it just didn’t seem like something Rory would do. They should have had her break up with him at the end of the Winter episodes. We could have still had the joke but it wouldn’t have gone on as long as it did.
9. The Musical- Did they really need to spend that much time on the town musical? It was so long. That is one big thing I would have changed. Give us more time with Jess…or really anyone.
10. The Last Four Words- WOW! I didn’t see that coming in any way. What will Rory do? Will she tell Logan? If she did would she want him to be with her? Where does Jess fit in? Will she live with Lorelai? I need more Gilmore Girls. I need more. Even if we have to wait a while for it.