The Birth Story

My Birth Story

On Tues, Nov 16th I had a rough day.  I had met Ben for lunch and we walked around the PX a bit.  Oliver North was doing a book signing so I got some pictures of that.  Then I planned to do some shopping after Ben went back to work.  I just wasn’t feeling it.  I felt icky & tired.  I finally made it home just a bit before DW’s bus came home.  I just wanted to lay down.  Later that night after everyone else was asleep I sat in the rocker and tried to watch some of my tv shows.  I started feeling some pains.  Keep in mind that for the past 2 weeks or so I was having some very random contractions that had no pattern to them.  But these seemed to have some sort of rhythm.  It was 12:30 and I wasn’t sure what to do.  I decided that I would try to sleep.  If I could, I could.  If the pain kept me up, well something was happening.

I was able to sleep a little but woke up at about 2:45ish with pain.  This pain was worse and I wasn’t sure I could sleep again.  After about 15 mins of trying I couldn’t.  Ben had been up off and on all night and was having trouble sleeping himself.  So between 3:00-3:30 we watched and debated on what to do.  Finally decided to call my friend to come over to be with the sleeping boys and head to the hospital.

We got there right about 4 am.  They had us wait about 10 minutes in the waiting room and then took me back.  They asked me a ton of questions and I was contracting through all of it.  They had me on the monitors and as I laid there I had to figure out my final decision about the epidural.  It was hard for me.  My other 2 I had totally natural.  I was super committed to that choice then and was able to do it.  I just wasn’t feeling it this time.  In the end, I made the decision to get one.  They checked me and I was at 4.  I had decided if I was less than that I would want to wait on the epidural but it felt like things were moving along.

They had to test my blood and put in an IV, which I just seemed to be okay with.  I went to the delivery room and everything got set up.  As we moved my contractions just kept coming on.  They were getting really painful and really uncomfortable.  I just kept trying to breathe through them while holding on tightly to Ben.  I was so thankful he was there with me.  Just feeling him around me was so nice.

Well by the time we got into the delivery room I want to say it was after 5?  I can’t totally remember.  I contracted a bit and was feeling like I was getting to a pretty painful place.  The lady came in with the epidural and putting it in went better than I thought.  Ben was right there with me the whole time too.  After it went in she told me it would take a few contractions to work.

This is when it got fun.  I had 2 contractions that felt really bad.  Like the end of labor, about to have the baby bad.  Then I felt tons and tons of pressure.  They checked me and the nurse say, “There is no more cervix” and I guess I said, “What?  Where did it go?”  Ben was cracking up.  But I knew I was complete and I knew that pressure was my body saying it was time to push.

The midwife was right there and told me to push once and so I did.  Then told me to do it again and he was out.  I was amazed at how fast it was!  He was born right at 6:11am.  His cord was wrapped around his neck so Ben didn’t get to cut it but that was ok.  I was just glad everything was going so well.

It was so weird as I felt like the last few weeks were dragging on and on.  I was feeling random contractions, so icky and then bam when active labor started, it started and he was born right away.

I really felt at peace with this birth.  I felt like I made the right decisions and that everything worked out ok.  Of course, I am dealing with the Bell’s Palsy which is not ideal but everything else seems to turn out well.  I was pleased with the hospital and how nice everyone was to us.  The only thing was how hard it is to be there, getting used to breastfeeding, finally having the baby sleep and then they come in to check your stats again.

I feel like this pregnancy was the hardest one, yet maybe the “easiest” labor.  It wasn’t easy of course but out of the 3 I felt it was.  I also feel totally content with this as my last baby.  Our family feels complete and it is a great feeling 🙂

And I am loving having THREE boys.  It’s great and it will be even more fun as Joshua gets older I imagine.  It’s like God knew this was the perfect family for me to have 🙂

And I thank God everyday that Ben was here and he is still home with us.  We are still in waiting mode to see when he has to go but I look at every extra day as a great thing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Tell me what you think!

Looking for extra support? Come join my Soldier’s Wife, Crazy Life Facebook group.
About Julie

WAHM of three boys, wife of 12 years, blogger, photography and book nerd.


  1. I'm glad everything went so well and you're happy with the decisions you made. He's beautiful!

  2. I am so glad you gave a update on hubby, I hope he gets to stay home a while longer

  3. It is great that your husband got to be there and that everything went so well. I can't believe it's already been 2.5 weeks! That just flew right by!

  4. Elizabeth says:

    Thanks for sharing your birth story — it sounds amazing and it was so interesting for me to read! I'm glad you had a healthy baby boy and I hope your Bell's Palsy clears up quickly!

  5. "There is no more cervix." LOL. When I was pregnant with Zeke, my German doctor was doing an exame and said, "Your cervix is, um, gone." Oh how my friend and I did laugh. Until he admitted me into the hospital on bed rest since I was only 32 weeks along. But I'm glad it all went well and that Ben is still there with you guys.

  6. Julie, I have been so behind on reading blogs that I had no idea that you had the baby already! I'm so sorry it's taken me this long to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I loved reading your birth story, and I'm so glad everything went well. You sound like you're doing well, and I'm in awe of your energy and spirit and the fact that you're keeping up your blog as if you don't have a newborn and 2 boys to mother! You are amazing. I'm so glad your husband was home for the birth. Take care of yourself and rest when you can! 🙂

  7. titanfall Cracks says:

    Heya exceptional website! Does running a blog similar to this take
    a lot of work? I’ve virtually no knowledge of coding however I
    had been hoping to start my own blog in the near future.
    Anyhow, if you have any ideas or tips for new blog owners please share.
    I understand this is off topic nevertheless I just needed to ask.

  8. Ciao I leggi di novità regolarmente . Il tuo scrittura stile è impressionante ,
    it up !

  9. says:

    After I originally commented I appear to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and
    from now on whenever a comment is added I get 4 emails with the same
    comment. Is there an easy method you are able to remove me from that service?
    Appreciate it!

  10. Hi there! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could locate
    a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having difficulty finding one?
    Thanks a lot!

  11. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to
    my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping
    maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
    Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy
    reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.


  1. […] cases they might let someone stay back for a birth but it just depends on the situation. When I was due with Josh, my husband did get to stay back but it was also a case of him not being allowed to deploy until […]

Speak Your Mind