This post does contain affiliate links.
In case you are new here, I love books, I love to read and I always have. In 2010 I got my first Kindle and I fell in love with it. I loved that I could have so many books all in one place. Over the years I have upgraded and have been using the Kindle Paperwhite for almost a few years now. I love that thing I really do. I get books from the local library and every once in a while I might buy one if the price is right.
That being said, there is something about a traditional book that you just can’t get with a Kindle. I have been thinking about this a lot lately and I decide I wanted to go back to reading more traditional books. I still have my Kindle, I will still read on it but I am going to try hard to pick up more traditional books because, I have missed them.
Here are 5 reasons why traditional books are better than E-Readers. And before you call me an E-book hater, I am not. I actually plan to write a post about why they are better than traditional books. I love both equally but for different reasons.
1) The feel. There is just something about holding a book in your hand you don’t get with a Kindle. Maybe it is the thickness or just the way it sits. It is just nice to hold a real book in your hand.
2) The smell. Kindles don’t smell like old books. That smell. The one you encounter in a used book store. The one you encounter in a regular book store. There is nothing like it. It is like roses to a book-worm like me.
3) Thrift stores and garage sales. One thing I loved to do in my pre-Kindle days was look for used books at thrift stores and garage sales. Finding a book for a quarter or even just a couple of bucks was exciting. Especially if it was one on my to-read list. I really started to miss that when I was reading almost everything on the Kindle.
4) The covers. I picked up Beautiful Ruins this summer because of the cover. I just had to have it. I couldn’t help it. It turned out to be a great book too. I like walking around at bookstores and looking into different books because of their covers. Although you can pick out some pretty neat Kindle covers, it just isn’t the same.
5) Resale value.I used to sell my used books all the time. I only kept the really good ones. You can’t do that with E-books. It is nice to get a little bit of money back for new books when you are done reading them. I would like to go back to that as I start reading and collecting more traditional books again.